Milhaus Development will purchase City-owned property that once was home to the Myron Johnson lumberyard in Northside. The company will use the 2.4-acre site to build a mixed-use development with at least 100 apartments and 8,000 sq. ft. of commercial space. The developer has also committed to rehabbing a historic former railroad depot building.
In total, the development represents about $10.5 million in private investment. The City has also committed about $400,000 to improving streetscapes in the public right-of-way adjacent to the property for the neighborhood's enjoyment.
The City purchased the property, located at 4100 Hamilton Ave. and 1539 Knowlton St., several years ago in hopes of redeveloping and revitalizing the historic Northside business district. Since then, the City has performed demolition, environmental remediation and relocation of a sewer line to make the site marketable for development.